Thursday, December 29, 2005

One of my Christmas presents was Patriotic Country 2. It's a great album, (even if you're not a country fan, you should really consider getting it.) and since I really don't feel like blogging, I'll just randomly post the words to a few of my favorite songs on it.
So here it is, by memory(I think I got all the words right!)

Chely Wright - Bumper Of My SUV:
I've got a bright red sticker on the back of my car, says United States Marines.
and yesterday a lady in a minivan held up her middle finger at me.
Does she think she knows what I stand for or the things that I believe?
Just by lookin' at a sticker for the US Marines, on the bumper of my SUV.
See my brother Chris, he's been in for more than fourteen years now.
Our Dad was in the Navy during Vietnam, did his duty then he got out.
And my Grandpa earned his purple heart on the beach of Normandy....
That's why I've got a sticker, for the US Marines on the bumper of my SUV
That doesn't mean that I want war, I'm not Republican or Democrat,
but I've gone all around this crazy world, just to try to better understand.
And yes, I do have questions. I get to ask them because I'm free.
That's why I've got a sticker, for the US Marines, on the bumper of my SUV.
'Cause I've been to Hiroshima, and I've been to the DMZ,
I've walked on the sand in Baghdad, still don't have all of the answers I need.
But I guess I wanna know where she's been, before she judges and gestures to me,
cause she don't like my sticker, for the US Marines, on the bumper of my SUV.
So I hope that lady in the minivan, turns on her radio and hears this from me
as she picks up her kids, from their private schools and drives home safely on our city streets
or to the building where her church group meets.... yeah,
that's why I've got a sticker, for the US Marines, on the bumper of my SUV.

You know, the best thing about this song is it's all true. It really happened - Chely Wright was driving down the streets in Nashville one day, when some nut started cussing her out over the "illegal war" because of the USMC bumper sticker that she really did get in honor of her brother Chris. It's all true - down to the "private schools" and "church group", which were on the stranger's bumper stickers. It's a really great song!