Tuesday, March 07, 2006

What do you think?

Yes, I'm alive. Sorry for the non-blogging. I'll try to get around to y'all's sites tonight. Now for my post:

Gov. Rounds Signs Bill Banning Most S.D. Abortions
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. — Gov. Mike Rounds signed legislation Monday banning
nearly all abortions in South Dakota, setting up a court fight aimed at
challenging the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion.
The bill would make it a crime for doctors to perform an abortion unless the
procedure was necessary to save the woman's life. It would make no exception for
cases of rape or incest.

Click here to read the text of the bill (pdf).

So... what do you think? Would you favor something like this is your state?
I know the most contentious issue is that there's no exception for rape and incest.
Do you favor the bill as it is? What if there were an exception? (Keep in mind that such situations account for roughly 1-2% of all abortions.)

My take? I love it. I hope my state passes a law similar to this.
Oh! you scream, but what about the poor girl who got raped?
Get real. There is no way that all fifty states would ever outlaw abortion, and I'm sure NARAL or Planned Parenthood would gladly provide transportation to another state for an abortion. Even though I personally am against abortion unless the mother's life is in danger, I'm close to positive the option will always be open.

So that's my take. Tell me what you think.